Join me as I share with you some of the best free homeschool resources, exclusively available right now during the global pandemic. Children across the world are being homeschooled out of necessity and I wanted to put together a list of my very favorites. I hope this is helpful to you!
Audio/Video Books and Art for Kids
So many children’s authors and illustrators are taking time out of their days to read children’s books or instruct children on how to draw and illustrate via instagram or facebook.
- Check out this website for links to authors reading stories every day on various social media platforms.
- Mo Willems Daily Lunch Doodle, draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually once a day for the next few weeks.
- Author/Illustrator Grace Lin is posting is posting tutorials and readings on her youtube channel.
- Jarret J. Krosoczka, author of the National Book Award finalist “Hey, Kiddo,” is hosting daily drawing webcasts on YouTube at 2 p.m. EDT for all ages.
- Here is another great website with a roundup of children’s book authors reading their books to kids.
Search instagram for #operationstorytime and #kidlitquaratine for more read alouds
Major children’s publishers, including Penguin and HarperCollins, are planning daily read-alouds and activities. @penguinkids @harperkids
Podcasts & Audiobooks for Kids
- Audible announced a free Audible Stories website with audiobooks for children of all ages. Everything on the site is free, with no login or membership required
- There are plenty of educational and entertaining podcasts for kids, some of our favorites are WOW in the World, Story Pirates and Brains On!
- Many libraries are closing, but online resources remain available. Check Libby, Kanopy, SimplyE and Hoopla to get free resources with your library card.
More Free Homeschool Resources
- Many websites are offering free subscriptions during the shut downs from covid-19. Check out this website for up to date info on all the websites offering free memberships and deals.
KiwiCrate is a stem activity subscription box, but they offer free educational resources and DIYS on their website.
Duolingo is one of the most popular free online tools to learn a new language. It’s very easy to use and set up.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga is a free youtube channel with fun yoga activities for kids.
Animal Educational Websites and Events
This is a great free website that offers interesting facts about the animals that live at the San Diego Zoo. There are live cams and other videos, stories, activities and games. Website: San Diego Zoo Kids
- The Cincinatti Zoo is hosting “home safaris”!
“Join us for a Home Safari Facebook Live each day at 3pm EDT where we will highlight one of our amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home.
To watch our live videos just go to the Cincinnati Zoo Facebook page and scroll down. It will appear like the most recent post on our feed. You will not be able to see the videos from this event page. Once the live video has ended the video will remain on our Facebook page so you can watch later if you can’t make it during the live session.
Don’t have access to social media? No worries! All videos will be posted on our website and to our YouTube channel shortly after the Facebook Live ends.”